If you are pregnant and considering an abortion, you may think the abortion pill is the easiest and quickest solution.
However, there are several misconceptions about the abortion pill that you need to be aware of to protect your health. Read on to learn what common myths exist regarding the abortion pill:
1. It’s One Simple Drug
The abortion pill, also called medical abortion, is a series of two drugs used to terminate a healthy pregnancy.
The first drug you take is mifepristone, which causes your body to stop growing a pregnancy, and the embryo detaches from your uterus.
You take the second drug, misoprostol, 24-48 hours after taking the first pill. This drug makes your uterus contract and expel the pregnancy from your body.
2. It’s Completely Safe
Just as with any other drugs, there are known risks that can occur during a medical abortion.
Some of these risks include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
- Potential mental health impacts
3. You Don’t Need a Doctor’s Prescription
Attempting to buy the abortion pill online, even with a prescription is illegal in Florida.
The FDA has warned against purchasing the abortion pill online as you cannot guarantee the quality of the drugs you are receiving nor if you are receiving the proper dosage for your body.
Your doctor will also know if you are ineligible for taking the abortion pill due to limitations such as:
- Having an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Not being able to make follow-up visits to your doctor
- Not being able to access emergency care
- Taking a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Having an allergy to the drugs used during a medical abortion
- Having certain medical issues such as bleeding disorders, heart or blood vessel diseases, severe lung, liver, or kidney disease, or an uncontrolled seizure disorder
4. It’s Effective for Any Type of Pregnancy
There are several limitations where medical abortion is not only ineffective but can be harmful to your health.
First, according to the FDA, the abortion pill can not be used any later than the 10th week of your pregnancy. Attempting a medical abortion any later than ten weeks can lead to serious complications, such as an incomplete abortion.
The abortion pill is unsafe to use if you have an ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the pregnancy grows somewhere other than your uterus. It is a serious health condition that requires immediate medical intervention.
A non-viable pregnancy is also a situation where using the abortion pill is not appropriate.
Around 10-20% end in a natural miscarriage, and if your pregnancy is not viable, then attempting a medical abortion is not only unnecessary but can expose you to unneeded risks.
Get the Answers You Need
Getting the details about your pregnancy is very important in understanding what options are available to you.
A no-cost and confidential ultrasound scan from Palm Beach Women’s Clinic can provide details, such as your pregnancy’s age, location, and viability.
Our trained staff can also discuss all the options available and answer all your questions.
Taking the time to learn about your pregnancy and understand all your options will help protect your health and empower you to make the best decision for yourself.
Contact us today to schedule your appointment.